City of Lorraine : Get a permit to install a heat pump or air conditioning unit
Dear Residents of the City of Lorraine,
We are AirGreen, your trusted partner for all your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) needs. We understand that each municipality has its unique rules and regulations, and we are here to guide you through those specific to Ville de Lorraine.
Devices Allowed in Your Yard:
- Air Conditioners
- Heat Pumps
- Pool Filters
- Gas Tanks
These devices are permitted in the backyards and can also be installed in the rear side yards, provided they are surrounded by both acoustic and visual screens to minimize noise and maintain the aesthetic of your outdoor space. If your property is adjacent to a park, street, or pedestrian pathway, the device should be placed in the side yard facing these public spaces.
Distances to Maintain:
- For detached single-family buildings, these devices must be positioned at least 1.5 meters away from any property boundary.
- For semi-detached or row houses, the minimum distance is 0.60 meters.
The noise level of these devices must not exceed 50 dB, both during the day and night, at the boundary of your property.
Before commencing your installation work, an authorization certificate is mandatory. This certificate is available at a cost of $30.
How to Proceed?
For an existing property:
- Indicate the planned location for your units and accessories.
- Specify the number of decibels produced by your units.
- Complete and sign the application.
- Submit the application to the city hall (in person, by mail, by fax, or by email).
For a new construction:
- Follow the similar steps mentioned above and submit the form along with your new construction permit application.
It’s highly recommended to use a copy of your location certificate to show the planned location of the device on your property.
While we are always here to assist and guide you, please note that it is your responsibility to ensure compliance with all rules and regulations, and to obtain agreement from your neighbors when necessary. Unless otherwise specified in the contract, obtaining permits and compliance with rules are your responsibility. We are here to assist you at every step of this process.
Looking forward to serving you soon,
The AirGreen Team